Welcome to my third year of keeping a photo journal, where I add a photo each week of the Chinese Zodiac Year. Links to my previous journals for the Year of the Tiger and the Year of the Rabbit are below on the right.
Why have I used a Welsh Dragon on my banner? Well, our family is more than half Welsh - Mike is Welsh and grew up in South Wales, and my paternal Grandfather was Welsh, although he moved to Australia as a child. I like the amalgamation of our Welsh heritage with our current life in China.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Week 12 - Changing of the Guard

This beautiful horse is a police horse patrolling Buckingham Palace during the Changing of the Guard ceremony, which is held about 4 times a week during spring. 
I took the kids, anticipating walking up to the Palace fence and watching easily... I wasn't prepared for the crowds at all. The crowd from the fence was easily 6 deep, with people of all ages on shoulders as well. All around the base of the Queen Victoria statue in the middle of the road was packed. My little two didn't stand a chance, and I was sure I would lose one of them!  Fortunately we did get a good spot on the barriers onto the road (which averaged 3 deep), and we saw all the Guards march by, plus the marching band and several Royal horsemen.  
But supervising it all were the London Metropolitan Police on their gorgeous horses. 

1 comment: