Welcome to my third year of keeping a photo journal, where I add a photo each week of the Chinese Zodiac Year. Links to my previous journals for the Year of the Tiger and the Year of the Rabbit are below on the right.
Why have I used a Welsh Dragon on my banner? Well, our family is more than half Welsh - Mike is Welsh and grew up in South Wales, and my paternal Grandfather was Welsh, although he moved to Australia as a child. I like the amalgamation of our Welsh heritage with our current life in China.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Week 41 - Step into an Optical Illusion

The old Shanghai Slaughterhouse was an abattoir built in 1933, and is now called the 1933 Building. It is made of brushed concrete, and is a series of ramps, bridges and staircases, basically in a spiral, but with a vast number of paths down.  The ramps are quite steep, but rough and ridged to prevent the cattle slipping, and the staircases apparently provided workers with a continuous line of sight to the cattle, while keeping away and safe from the stampede.
The space is now used for exhibitions and functions and is a secret delight of Shanghai that we enjoyed visiting.  That's me and the kids posing on the distant bridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment